Skip to: Site menu | Main content

Blog > What I did in the holidays, part 2

>> What I did in the holidays, part 2

Sun, Dec 31st 11:18pm 2006: DIY

Installed a window in the laundry

The new laundry is right at the back of the house and very elevated but it doesn't take advantage of the location by having a window overlooking the back yard, so when we ordered windows for the new bathroom we also got one for the laundry.

Installing a window into an existing wall is actually an interesting exercise. The window needs a support frame around the window frame itself, and when building a new house the support frame is just constructed as part of the wall structure then covered with plasterboard. With an existing wall the options are either to rip off the plasterboard and replace it afterwards or do a "ship in a bottle" exercise and build the frame inside the wall cavity without removing either the plasterboard or any weatherboards.

The photo shows the job not quite finished. The plaster still needs patching, there's no architrave fitted and the frame isn't painted. What's interesting though is it shows some of the cuts that had to be made through the plaster to remove the center of an existing stud and remove some noggins. Cutting the hole in the plaster was a simple job of a few minutes, then the stud had to be cut 45mm *lower* than the bottom of the hole so a horizontal brace could sit on top of it. So how do you cut a stud inside a cavity only 90mm wide? Easy, just use a circular saw to cut the stud directly through the plaster from one side and through the weatherboards from the other side. Kinda like keyhole surgery, because the stud inside the wall is cut through but externally it leaves only a small slot which can then be easily patched. Yeah, I know, it's probably an obvious solution to everyone else in the world but I thought it was neat.

Then I built the side frames by attaching spacers to the studs on either side, which meant lots of hammering in a space barely wider than my arm but eventually resulted in a sturdy frame that ended up just barely proud of the hole. Sliding the window assemby into place and attaching it to the support frame was a piece of cake and voila, one new window!



Bookmark and Share